At Dominion Medical Centres®, we support public health care and we are proud of Canada’s health care system.
We strictly adhere to all of the criteria outlined by the Canada Health Act and we abide by all of the rules and regulations defined by Alberta Health and Wellness, the Alberta Medical Association, and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.
Typically, most office visits and complete medical examinations are considered medically necessary. Patients are not required to pay for these services - they are covered by Alberta Health and Wellness.
However, it is important to understand that not all services are covered. Some services are considered not medically necessary by Alberta Health and Wellness and are therefore uninsured. Patients are therefore obligated to pay for these uninsured services.
Examples of uninsured services that will require payment include telephone prescription refills, cosmetic procedures, form completion, and (nonsenior) driver’s medicals. If you require clarification regarding insured versus uninsured services, please ask us for a detailed brochure.
Services Not Covered by Alberta Health & Wellness*
- Office visits without a valid health care card
- Medical exams without a valid health care card
- Transfer of medical records
- Missed appointments
- Telephone prescription refills
- Telephone advice
- Driver’s medical examinations (non-senior)
- Examination and certification of fitness (school, sports, camp etc.)
- Hepatitis vaccination
- Treatment of non-plantar wart(s)
- Blue Cross Special Authorization form completion
- Employment Insurance form completion
- Pregnancy Leave form completion
- Disabled Parking Placard form completion
- AADAC Application for Admission
- AISH (Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped) form completion
- Alberta Human Resources and Employment (Social Services) form completion
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Disability form completion
- Canada Pension Plan (CPP) form completion
- Prospective adoptive/foster parent form completion
- Senior’s Residence form completion
- Medico-legal report completion
- Insurance form completion
- Attending Physician’s Statement (insurance)
- Disability and Benefit report completion
- Alberta Motor Vehicle Insurance form completion
- AB-2 Treatment Plan form completion
* A detailed price sheet will be provided at your request.
Please note: not all uninsured services are listed here. If you are unsure whether or not Alberta Health and Wellness will cover your visit, please ask our helpful staff.
Please Note: To improve physician accessibility for all patients, there is a $40 fee for appointments missed or cancellations made with less than 24 hours notice ($90 for medicals). This fee is not covered by Alberta Health and Wellness.
We recognize that some patients are simply unable to pay for uninsured services. Persons who are receiving Canada Pension Plan (CPP) benefits, Employment Insurance (EI) benefits, and Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) benefits are examples of patients who may be unable to pay. Such patients may complete an Application for Exemption form for review by our Community Support Committee.